The Klaipėda Castle is one of the oldest places in town. The town emerged from a settlement which surrounded the castle. Known as Memelburg back then, the castle was first mentioned in documents in 1252, when the master of the Livonian Order, Eberhard von Zeine, and Curonian Bishop Heinrich agreed to build a castle between the Nemuna and Dangė rivers. A wooden castle was built that very same year. Today the territory has a museum, a conference centre and an exhibition, “Museum 39/45” that is devoted to the history of World War II.